Date:      Mon, 11 Nov 1996 16:25:00 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        roberto@keltia.freenix.fr (Ollivier Robert)
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ufs is too slow?

> > internals knowledge to even contemplate doing something like this...
> > otherwise I would be off writing "newsfs" in a corner somewhere.
>
> Just to keep people tuned, James Brister (from ISC, author of INN 1.5 &
> Innfeed) is considering/working on such a file system. There is some
> discussion at this moment in the inn-workers list...

>From what I have heard of these discussions, they are planning on
internal multi indexing.  This does not seem wise, since returning
a file to a consistent state following a crash would be a 1:n fanout
and therefore ambiguous.

Much better to fix the problems another way...

Article directory lookup too slow?  ...Use a btree directory structure.
Etc.

They are probably also not considering record orientation, a must for MIME
attachments or encapsulation of article header items not in 822 (which,
from memory, only had a "newsgroups" and an "in-reply-to" line...).

There is very little difference from a good "MIMEFS" and a good "NEWSFS".

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.