Date:      Tue, 19 Oct 2004 23:38:37 +0200
From:      Alex de Kruijff <freebsd@akruijff.dds.nl>
To:        Glenn Sieb <ges+lists@wingfoot.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrading a 5.1-RELEASE-p10 system...

On Tue, Oct 19, 2004 at 04:32:59PM -0400, Glenn Sieb wrote:
> I'd like to update a server from 5.1-RELEASE-p10 to 5.3-STABLE...
>
> What I'm wondering is: Are there any caveats to this upgrade?

The anwser to this question is to long for me to write and its written
down in the handbook. Please follow the instuctions in this chapter.
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/cutting-edge.html

> One of my compadres asked me:
>
> >How stable is stable?
> >
> >Isn't this the release where they change some value from an int16 to
> >an int32 and upgrading needs to be done with extra caution?  (i.e.
> >actually go to single user mode even though everyone ignores that
> >step).  Or was that something else?
> >
> >Otherwise, I'm all for it.
>

> So I just wanted to be sure, so I can plan accordingly...

FreeBSD-5 isn't stable jet although the tag exist. 5.3 is more stable
than 5.2.1 and this runs fine on my box.

--
Alex

Please copy the original recipients, otherwise I may not read your reply.
WWW: http://www.kruijff.org/alex/FreeBSD/