Date:      Tue, 13 Mar 2007 09:26:13 +0100
From:      Gerhard Schmidt <estartu@augusta.de>
To:        Jonathan McKeown <jonathan@hst.org.za>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, Pietro Cerutti <pietro.cerutti@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: nss_ldap and openldap on the same server.

--xHFwDpU9dbj6ez1V

On Tue, Mar 13, 2007 at 10:01:09AM +0200, Jonathan McKeown wrote:
> On Tuesday 13 March 2007 09:16, Gerhard Schmidt wrote:
> > >
> > > Hello,

> > > man nsswitch.conf(5)
> > > Look for Status codes and Actions
> >
> > Doesn't work. Tried the follwing nsswitch.conf
> > group: files [success=3Dreturn] ldap
> > hosts: files dns
> > networks: files
> > passwd: files [success=3Dreturn] ldap
> > shells: files
> >
> > This doesn't change the delay. And the nss_ldap timeout is still report=
ed.
> > This is not supprising because the manpage states [success=3Dreturn] is
> > default.
> >
> > Seams there is a bug somewhere.
>=20
> It's a well-known problem rather than a bug, and it arises when looking u=
p=20
> group information for a user. The system needs a list of all the groups t=
he=20
> user is a member of. Since it's a list, not a single answer, you can't=20
> short-circuit the process with ``success'' after finding a single result:=
=20
> initgroups(3) must work through all possible sources of group information=
 to=20
> build the list.

I think its still a bug. You are right that all groups should be found so=
=20
the default for groups should be success=3Dcontinue to have this done. But=
=20
when I explicily specify that on success the process should abort, it
should be done exacly this way.=20

> The only ``workaround'' I've seen suggested is the parameter introduced=
=20
> recently in nss_ldap:
>=20
> nss_initgroups_ignoreusers
>=20
> It takes a comma-separated list of users for whom the nss_ldap initgroups=
=20
> routine should immediately return NSS_STATUS_NOTFOUND. If you keep group=
=20
> information for all the system users in /etc/group only, and add them all=
 to=20
> this line in nss_ldap.conf, it should remove the problem. (Warning: I hav=
en't=20
> tested this).

This may fix the problem with nss_ldap but its still there with other
modules.=20

Bye
	Estartu

--=20
Gerhard Schmidt    | Nick : estartu      IRC : Estartu  |
Fischbachweg 3     |                                    |  PGP Public Key
86856 Hiltenfingen | EMail: estartu@augusta.de          |  on request=20
Germany            | 					| =20

--xHFwDpU9dbj6ez1V

--xHFwDpU9dbj6ez1V--