Date:      Sat, 01 Mar 2008 05:08:40 -0800
From:      "Chris H." <chris#@1command.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE Available

Quoting gregoryd.freebsd@free.fr:

> Quoting "Chris H." <chris#@1command.com>:
>
>> BSD is /different/. Which is /not/ bad, just /different/. :)
>
> Never said it was bad (on the *very* contrary)
> Been using it for a little more than 10 years now: would I have been if I had
> thought otherwise ? ;-)
>
>> * choose net/cvsup-without-gui
>
> no longer needed: csup is readily available ! (and works perfectly)
>
>>    cvsup -g -L 2 /root/stable-supfile
>
> That needs an internet access which, precisely, I lack in my office !
>

>> In any event you're now in a position to build/install
>> anything the BSD ports system has to offer. While this /may/
>> seem like a long process, it's not. It's very quick. In fact
>> it /is/ faster than the Linux GUI install process - I just
>> performed one the other day. Then blew it away and replaced
>> it with a fresh copy of RELENG_7. :)
>
> I *really* have nothing against the installer UI (to tell the truth,
> I'd rather
> it not be changed, however modern the desktopbsd installer may have seemed to
> me, I definitely prefer the "old" one)
>
> The problem I pinpoint is this: for people without internet access once they
> have downloaded the whole CD set, having to swap CDs during install *so many
> times* is a real PITA. It might prove a deterrent for would-be new users.
> And also, it is not up to the good work that went in the OS proper, and
> documentation and all.
>

> Of course had I the opportunity, I would go with the way I do *at
> home* where I
> have an xDSL link: boot-only CD and making ports (or packages, depending on
> available time). Precisely what you described.
> But without an internet connection it is just not possible.
>

> Now, thinking over yesterday's experience: maybe I should have grabbed the
> boot-only CD and burnt a DVD with packages, and then establish a kind of
> "repository" with those.
> Then again, it would consume precious network bandwidth (desktop is
> for remote
> administering...) if I wanted to make it available to colleagues.
>

> Bottom line: I think the installer needs a fix in how to handle package
> installation when spanning several CDs.
> It's an opinion, though. Based on (a bad) experience, but still an opinion...
>
> I'm aware CDs are still indispensable, since many machines are not
> equipped with
> DVD drives. But couldn't we imagine a desktop oriented release on DVD (which
> would be the exact same as the CD set, maybe only with more packages to take
> advantage of the supplementary space available) ? (if fixing the installer
> swapping thing is too much trouble)
Hello gregory,
All valid points. I guess I've been using "fat pipes" for so
long I forget their not /always/ available. :)
I'll venture an install from mounted ISO image(s) tutorial. It overcomes
all those issues with "not having a fast connection to the internet woes".
(assuming you can get the ISO images - but then again, you wouldn't
have a CD if you couldn't get the ISO's would you).
But I'm not up to it right now. I'll save it for another posting.

Best wishes.

--Chris H