Date:      Sat, 30 May 1998 16:15:39 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: elf vs. bsd.*.mk

At 8:42 PM -0000 5/30/98, Bruce Evans wrote:
>We want them defined for all bsd.*.mk files if they are "constant".
>BINDIR can not be defaulted because it varies within a single world,
>and LIBDIR is variable if you want it to put {aout,elf} in it.

Virtually NOTHING is constant. Quite often if may be desirable for
it to take on a default value because we have not specified any
overriding value. For example, the source is likely, but should not
be required, to be in /usr/src; the target machine architecture is
generally, but not always, the same as that of the machine on which
it is running; etc.

I SHOULD be able to simultaneously compile, from the same source tree,
systems for two different machine architectures and/or variations
of compile parameters.

Richard Wackerbarth