Date:      Tue, 26 Nov 2002 21:31:52 -0800 (PST)
From:      Byron Bailey <baileyby@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   LNE100TX FreeBSD 4.5   Status: No Carrier

Hi,
I recently installed FreeBSD 4.5 but am unable to get
the ethernet card to work.  The card is in slot pci0
(I've heard there used to be problems with using other
pci slots, so I'm eliminating as many variables as I
can).  My ifconfig looks like:

dc0:
flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICASE> mtu
1500
  inet6 fe80::2a0:ccff:fe20:b37a%dc0 prefixlen 64
scopeid 0x1
  inet 192.168.0.44 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast
192.168.0.255
  ether 00:a0:cc:20:b3:7a
  status: no carrier
lp0: flags=8810<POINTOPOINT,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu
1500
lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu
16384
  inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128
  inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x3
  inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000
ppp0: flags=8010<POINTOPOINT,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
sl0: flags=c010<POINTOPOINT,LINK2,MULTICAST> mtu 552
faith0: flags=8002<BROADCAST,MULTICAST> mtu 1500

If I switch the media type on ifconfig_dc0 in
/etc/rc.conf to 100baseTX, the status message will
switch back and forth between "No Carrier" and
"Active."  However, even when the message states that
the card is active, I am unable to ping anything on
the network, including the node to which the computer
is directly connected.  I can, however, ping
localhost.

I also see many many messages like "dc0: TX underrun
-- using store and forward mode," "/kernel: dc0:
watchdog timeout," and "/kernel: dc0: TX underrun --
increasing TX threshold."  I hear that these are
likely more noise than useful messages, but I thought
I should mention them just in case.

Any help is greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.
-Byron