Date:      Mon, 14 Aug 2006 19:28:57 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: installword with DESTDIR=/nfs doesn't work?

Dmitriy Kirhlarov wrote:
 > Oliver Fromme wrote:
 > > Hi,
 > >
 > > I just tried to do a "make installworld" with DESTDIR set
 > > to a directory on an NFS server.  It broke like this:
 > >
 > > ===> lib/libcom_err/doc (install)
 > > lockf -k /mnt/data/6.1-TEST/original-tree/usr/share/info/dir  install-info --quiet  --defsection="Programming & development tools."  --defentry="* libcom_err: (com_err).        A Common Error Description Library for UNIX."  com_err.info /mnt/data/6.1-TEST/original-tree/usr/share/info/dir
 > > lockf: cannot open /mnt/data/6.1-TEST/original-tree/usr/share/info/dir: Operation not supported
 > > *** Error code 73
 > > Stop in /usr/src/lib/libcom_err/doc.
 > > *** Error code 1
 > >
 > > Am I missing something?  Is installworld over NFS supported
 > > at all?  I could swear I have done it before ...
 >
 > Look like you need rpc.lockd(8)

I think rpc.lockd(8) is only required for the NFS server,
not for the client, right?  (The NFS server is a NetApp
Filer, by the way.  The client is running RELENG_6.)

Best regards
   Oliver

"The scanf() function is a large and complex beast that often does
something almost but not quite entirely unlike what you desired."
        -- Chris Torek