Date:      Tue, 18 Jun 2019 01:59:37 -0700
From:      "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@tristatelogic.com>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Eliminating IPv6 (?)

In message <20190618082951.GA84864@straasha.imrryr.org>,
Viktor Dukhovni <ietf-dane@dukhovni.org> wrote:

>Agreed.  I find it takes very little effort to not have IPv6 get
>in my way, and with that taken care of, it is then occasionally
>even useful.  If this thread boils down to annoyance about localhost
>resolving to both "::1" and "127.0.0.1" then use "127.0.0.1" instead
>of "localhost" in any configuration files where that's what you
>mean.

I quite certainly have had, of late, and since my "upgrade" to 12.0,
two specific and very annoying problems that both seemed at first
to possibly derive from various applications mistakenly attempting
to connect to "localhost" via its IPv6 address in preference to its
IPv4 address.

With a little help from my friends I've now resolved both issues,
and as it turned out, neither problem had a single bloody thing
to do with IPv6.  So that's good news.  But I didn't know that until
the end.  While the plot was still unfolding with respect to both of
these issues, I was effectively forced to consider that all of this
unwanted IPv6 stuff might be the source of these (originally rather
mysterious) problems.

As the old saying goes, I would rather have been sailing.

Anyway, as I had previously mentioned, various suggestions and
recommendations that I found online had suggest one or another
subset of the following /etc/rc.conf lines as a way of eliminating
IPv6 from the game board:

    ipv6_network_interfaces="none"
    ip6addrctl_enable="NO"
    ip6addrctl_policy="ipv4_prefer"
    ipv6_activate_all_interfaces="NO"

Would it not be both easy and wise to have -one- thing that could
be placed into /etc/rc.conf that would imply all of these others?

That would require near zero engineering effort, yes?

Regards,
rfg