Date:      Thu, 2 Sep 1999 08:52:03 -0500
From:      Tony <tbrock@mail.phoenix.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: user PPP only works for root

On Wed, 01 Sep 1999, Ken Seggerman wrote:
> Thanks for replying to me:
>

> > Add ``allow user <your_user_name>'' or ``allow user *'' for everyone
> > to /etc/ppp/ppp.conf and add <your_user_name> (and anyone elses)
> > to the group ``network'' then you can run ppp as a non-root user.
> >
> I have followed your instructions but it still does not work.

It sounds very much like you do not have the tunnel device configured in your
kernel.  Research that direction.  If you do have a tunnel device and it is in
your kernel try this site.  http://flag.blackened.net/freebsd/

It's FreeBSD How-To's for the Lazy and Hopeless.

No heavy theory here folks. If you are using these pages to set up your
FreeBSD, you are using the shortcut. This means you are either truly busy or
unable to comprehend man pages. Either way, you won't learn too much doing
things this way, but..

Tony