Date:      Wed, 20 Dec 2000 22:28:39 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Polstra <TrimYourCc@polstra.com>
To:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: gensetdefs using sh(1),sed(1),grep(1) and awk(1)

In article <20001221103548.A10223@rafe.jeamland.net>,
Benno Rice  <benno@FreeBSD.ORG> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 20, 2000 at 11:54:32AM -0800, David O'Brien wrote:
> >
> > Yes, and I still fail to see why one cannot build a gensetdefs binary
> > (ie, from C source) for the target machine manually and use that.  From
> > the looks of it that is what DFR did for his IA-64 work.
>
> Because the current gensetdefs will refuse to deal with a target endianness
> that's different to the host's.

Sheesh, that wouldn't be hard to fix.  The C version (which I wrote,
by the way) is only 375 lines total.  It uses about 3 kinds of ELF
headers, whose bytes could be swapped in a few lines of code each.
Why anybody would want to take a perfectly good working C program
that already exists and rewrite it in <name your scripting language>
is a bit of a mystery to me.  You folks could have fixed the existing
program in about a tenth of the time you've spent ranting on this
thread.

IMHO piping the output of objdump into a perl script or into a shell
script that calls awk, etc., is a hack.  It's tolerable if you don't
have anything cleaner -- but we _do_.

John