Date:      Fri, 18 Dec 1998 21:04:05 -0800 (PST)
From:      Chris Timmons <skynyrd@opus.cts.cwu.edu>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Also seeing IRQ oddness with -current now.

I think the irq messages have been there all along for SMP.

The most dramatic performance increase I perceive from SMP is in overall
throughput on a machine with diverse tasks running concurrently.  Put your
'make -j12 buildworld' in a loop, and put the build of ports/x11/XFree86
in a loop, such that you get a new logfile of stdout for each iteration of
the builds.

Try this for a while with one CPU, and then add the 2nd CPU.  You'll see a
pretty pronounced difference in your buildworld time then.  And that is
the real value of SMP right now - not breathtaking speed for single tasks
(even when aided by make's parallelism) but increased throughput for
highly loaded machines.  I'm going to put cvsup.freebsd.org on a dual ppro
machine shortly which will maybe help me decide the question of how ready
for prime time 3.0-current is.  Right now the uniprocessor pro/512
2.2-stable machine looks like this:

 9:00PM  up 16 days, 22:14, 2 users, load averages: 9.82, 9.07, 9.40

certainly no wcarchive but it does do it's share :)

-Chris

On Fri, 18 Dec 1998, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

[...]

> With one CPU, it's 1:05.  With two CPUs, it's 1:01.  This either
> proves that I'm seriously I/O bound or that multiple CPUs aren't
> helping the compile times for some weird reason. :-)

[...]