Date:      Sat, 26 Apr 1997 08:29:58 -0700
From:      "K.Ridge" <keithr@ntr.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   XFree86 w/ 3.0-current refuses to install

Hello all,

  I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong and would appreciate any help.  I have
installed 3.0-current with the exception of the XFree86 distribution which
refuses to cooperate.

  My initial installation attempt was from a DOS partition-- everything
went fine but XFree86 could not be located (I'm guessing because it wasn't
installed)

  My several FTP attempts also failed.  I tried the Primary site along with
each US site -- no go.  At this point I already had everything installed
except XFree, so I was attempting a 'custom' installation, choosing only
the XFree distribution and trying to get the installation program to
perform the 'extraction' step.

I select the XFree86 distribution, choose DOS Partition, (or FTP, or
existing freebsd filesystem) and choose 'extract'.  A box flashes
momentarily saying something like 'attempting to extract and install
selected distributions', but it instantly dumps me back to the installation
menu without extracting anything.

  I downloaded the directory XF86312S (from FreeBSD/XFree86/3.0-current/)
and have untarred it into my /usr dir.  I have also tried using the
'install from an existing filesystem' option and still XFree resists my
efforts.

  I now have XFree86 on DOS partition and in my /usr directory.  Can anyone
tell me how it can be installed from here?

  Does anyone know the path that the installation program uses when it
looks for XFree?  (From DOS partition)

  Is there a better way to approach this?

Thank you, Keith