Date:      Tue, 30 Jul 2002 14:38:13 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        Jay Austad <austad@marketwatch.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: libcrypto.so.2 in openssl

Jay Austad wrote:

> I downloaded the source for openssl and installed it over the old one.
> Is this a no-no?
>
> ./config --prefix=/usr shared
> make
> make test
> make install
>
> Everything works, except libcrypto.so.2 never gets updated, and some
> apps when recompiled still link to it.

Libcrypto shows up in a locate in the following places

owt-207-41-94-233# grep libcrypto.so iworld-20020727-1309.log
install -c -s -o root -g wheel -m 444     libcrypto.so.2 /usr/lib
ln -fs libcrypto.so.2 /usr/lib/libcrypto.so
/usr/lib/libdes.so.3 -> libcrypto.so.2
/usr/lib/libdes.so -> libcrypto.so.2

You didn't touch any of them

Kent