Date:      Mon, 3 Mar 1997 00:53:08 -0600
From:      Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   SCSI setup help !!!

Well, I used to have good uptime also.  Then a fan died. :-(

Anyway, the long story greatly shortened.

I didn't have ANY SCSI drives with bootable partitions. They were all
too big for the BIOS. My wd HD was trashed to a point that I couldn't
fix it from just the floppy. So I managed to get up on the floppy and
mount an archive disk (just FreeBSD trees -- I have a whole grove of
them). Between discarding and moving, I freed the whole 2G disk.

OK. Time to see how the 2.1.7 Installer goes.

Starts up just fine. I specify the one disk I want to use and proceed to
partition it. Since I generally like "real" partitions, I decided on

/dev/sd0a                       /               ufs     rw 1 1
/dev/sd0s2b                     none            swap    sw 0 0
/dev/sd0s2e                     /usr            ufs     rw 1 1
/dev/sd0s3e                     /var            ufs     rw 1 1

Everything seemed fine. It ask if I wanted to leave something to stay
compatible.
I said "yes". I also told it sd0s1a was bootable and everything seemed OK.

However, when I try to reboot, I get told that I have no OS.

I tried "disklabel -B sd0" and that did not help either.

Suggestions?