Date:      Sun, 1 Oct 2000 21:57:07 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Brandon D. Valentine" <bandix@looksharp.net>
To:        Gregory Bond <gnb@itga.com.au>
Cc:        Shawn Barnhart <swb@grasslake.net>, John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HP Kayak XA series vs FreeBSD

On Mon, 2 Oct 2000, Gregory Bond wrote:

>>When I get the initial boot menu I have a choice of F1 for DOS, F2 for
>>FreeBSD and F5 for Disk 2.  I cannot choose F2 -- all I get is a beep,
>>it will not timeout to that choice either.
>
>We had the same problem.  It seems there is some sort of problem with the new
>1024-byte boot0 on the HP XA boxes.  John Baldwin was going to send me some
>debugging boot0s but he's obviously been busy.
>
>Our workaround was to install the 512-byte boot0 from the 4.0 CD.  We did this
>by booting the 4.1 CD, using the 4.1 Fixit floppies (because the 4.1 Fixit CD
>didn't work!), then copying the boot0 from a 4.0 CD into /boot, then using
>boot0cfg to install it.

FWIW, the new boot0 caused problems for me when installing 4.1 on a dual
booting Intel DK440LX motherboard w/ onboard AIC7895.  The system would
never even get to loading boot0, the BIOS didn't like it.  I just
installed OSBS 1.35 on it and the system has been running happily since.

Brandon D. Valentine
bandix at looksharp.net  |  bandix at structbio.vanderbilt.edu
"Truth suffers from too much analysis." -- Ancient Fremen Saying