Date:      Mon, 19 Nov 2001 08:48:42 +0200
From:      Ari Suutari <ari.suutari@syncrontech.com>
To:        "Andrew Atrens" <atrens@nortelnetworks.com>
Cc:        "Koster, K.J." <K.J.Koster@kpn.com>, java <java@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Small prog to demonstrate linux-jdk1.3.x signal handling prob lem.

Hi,

(I'v cc'd this to freebsd-emulation, maybe someone there has
better understanding on this problem)

On Monday 19 November 2001 21:33, Andrew Atrens wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Nov 2001, Ari Suutari wrote:
> > 	Sorry, maybe I was giving to strong opinion on this.
> > 	It is mostly because I have been trying to get Apache JServ (or Tomcat)
> > 	to run with linux jdk and it definitively does not work with
> > 	hotspot enabled (and without it things are too slow for production
> > 	environment). These problems resulted in having to switch a couple
> > 	of servers from FreeBSD to Linux - a switch that I really hated to do.
>
> I'm in a similar situation, except that in our (my) case the java prog. is
> part of a product loadbuild environment. Though it's quicker on FreeBSD,
> it runs reliably on Linux.
>
> > 	that can be used to crash to Linux vm under linuxlator, maybe
> > 	this could be discussed on freebsd-emulation or -current mailing
>
> My gut feeling is that it's a race condition - sometimes the signal
> handler gets registered in time to catch the exception, sometimes it does
> not.  Though since I know very little about the linux threads model and
> more importantly, how it's implemented in the Linuxulator, I can only
> speculate.

	I found a small piece of information when searching on net
	for 'freebsd linux signal handling'. It says that linux makes
	no distinction with threads and processes and as a result
	signals go to a random thread rather than the one which
	registered them (this was BitTorrent mailing list on groups.yahoo.com,
	I don't know if this has any relevance to jdk, but at least
	there are similar problems elsewhere)

> Anyone out there an expert on this ? :) :)

	I was hoping that there could be a one on freebsd-emulators
	mailing list.

> > 	list ? Or is this something like a large piece of stuff missing from
> > 	linuxlator that will take ages to fix (hopefully not) ?

	Ari S.