Date:      Mon, 12 Mar 2001 15:33:18 +0100
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
To:        Damien Tougas <damien@carroll.com>
Cc:        Doug Barton <DougB@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Looking for Yoda

Damien Tougas said on Mar 12, 2001 at 07:54:59:

> I am not saying you have to do anything, or that the complexity of the
> system is anyones fault. From my engineering background, I can say
> that there are many big, complex projects that are done where all
> kinds of skill levels are involved. The senior engineers who have all
> of the experience assign the junior engineers small tasks which still
> have to be done, but at the same time help to familiarize them them
> with the system and design process. I am merely looking to see if
> there are any of those types of tasks that might be floating around
> somewhere.

Well, even apart from the PRs, which are a bit hard to dig through
(and, as you say, you may not have the relevant equipment), there must
be plenty of unreported quirks in the programs you use which annoy
you, or could be improved, or are just plain bugs.  How about starting
on those?

I'm no hacker, and don't really plan to become one.  The only C code
I've written is some simulation stuff which, code-wise, was probably
pretty atrocious (though it worked).  But on occasion I've poked
through source code to see whether I could fix something that was
annoying me, or add something I wanted.  Sometimes I actually
succeeded.  Once I even submitted a patch (for kdelibs 2), which got
accepted by the FreeBSD port maintainer, but doesn't seem to have made
it to KDE proper.  (Apparently the patch didn't work for everyone,
though it worked for me.  The patch is still there in the FreeBSD
port.  And I don't even really know C++.)

Right now I'm getting slightly annoyed by a few small things
in KDE 2.1 and am thinking of looking at the source code again.
If I had ambitions of increasing my skill levels, I certainly would
be looking at a lot of such source code...