Date:      Mon, 30 Jun 1997 22:05:49 -0400
From:      Robert Withrow <witr@rwwa.com>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NFS V3 is it stable?

chuckr@glue.umd.edu said:
:- Samy, are you using NFS to mount the mail sppol directories?  Since
:- nfs locking isn't in a very good condition, it's almost guaranteed to
:- fail. The mail directories are accessed bot for mail delivery and mail
:- pickup, and reliable locking is a top requirement.

But... I am doing this without *any* problems with FBSD 2.1.[567], where the
mail spools are served by a Solaris system. I was going to upgrade
a bunch of systems to 2.2-release, but now I'm worried.  IMO, This *must*
be made to work at least as well as it does in 2.1.[567].

And suggesting doing this another way is a non-starter, since in this
>1000 system shop, they aren't going to change things 'cause a dozen or
so FreeBSD systems get gas.  They barely tolerate me as it is...

(Hell, I only got them to NIS-serve AMD maps because they wanted to try
out AMD on some *sun* systems...)
Robert Withrow, Tel: +1 617 592 8935, Net: witr@rwwa.COM