Date:      Wed, 27 May 1998 19:26:42 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Spidey <beaupran@JSP.UMontreal.CA>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
Cc:        Question=answer <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Melting 2 partitions into 1 (fwd)

--0-1877870305-896311163=:402

Hello!

For those in the list who don't have a hint of what I'm talking about
here, see the message forwarded below. Briefly, it's about me trying to
melt freespace with a already installed /usr partition.

I was wondering if you answered my previous questions... I've been out for
a while and didn't receive any answers. Anyway, I'm gonna try the thing. I
forward you the outputs of fdisk and disklabel (i.e. "disklabel /dev/wd0")

I don't know if I on the right track and if the disks are OK. So please
help me out!

For sanity, I have a WD 3.2Gb hard drive partitionned this way:

DOS (C:)	1 Gb
FreeSpace:	500 Mb ?
FreeBSD:	1.275 Gb
FreeSpace:	500 Mb ?

This is the output of partition magic...

However, fdisk tells me that:

Part:	Type:		Size:
1	unused		?
2	165 (FreeBSD)	1275 Mb
3	6 (DOS=FAT16)	1000 Mb
4	unused		?

Is the order difference important? What is the cause of this difference?

Before making the big move, I'll make my DOS partition a little bigger
(See another posting to the list). I intend to use the rest of the
partition to the grace of FreeBSD. I have ported almost nothing and my
/usr boosted up to 1 Gig! Now I want to install some other stuff and I
feel like I will always be missing some space... Is it feasable to use a
1.5 Gb partition to the sake of FreeBSD, when you use the ports to install
(because it imports the source, contrarly to the package method)?

The following is a forward of the message previously posted. Please read
it because it includes important questions (to my eye!).

Thanks a lot!

Spidey

| Still searching for a good .sig... |