Date:      Tue, 29 Jun 1999 00:55:25 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        dillon@apollo.backplane.com (Matthew Dillon)
Cc:        jhay@mikom.csir.co.za, peter@netplex.com.au, alc@cs.rice.edu, tlambert@primenet.com, bakul@torrentnet.com, julian@whistle.com, freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: high-efficiency SMP locks - submission for review

>     Since 386's are UP systems, I think it would be fairly easy to implement
>     the UP version of the compare-and-exchange primitive trivially with an
>     spl wrapper.  We should be able to freely use use the cmpxchg instruction
>     on SMP systems.

Unless this was done at runtime, ala the bcopy code, I think that
it would be a terrible idea to balkanize the systems that a generic
kernel was capable of running on without recompilation.

I think the locking mechanics for SMP are just as applicable to
kernel preemption (aka one process Real Time or multiprocess "mushy"
Real Time), and that that avenue should not be cut off for older
systems.  This is doubly true for older systems, in fact, which
have a much higher tendency to show up in embedded controllers
and other applications that require some small RT capability, than,
say, 450MHz Xeon processors.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---