Date:      Wed, 24 Dec 2003 23:27:11 -0500
From:      "Michael W. Oliver" <michael@gargantuan.com>
To:        Eric Pogroski <pogrose@twcny.rr.com>, "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 3Com 3CXFE574BT Support

--MGYHOYXEY6WxJCY8

On Wed, Dec 24, 2003 at 10:05:55PM -0500, Eric Pogroski wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 19:38:50 -0700 (MST)
> "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>, "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com> wrot=
e:
>=20
> > My 3CCFE574BT negotiated a 100Mbps link for me no problems last time I
> > checked (I'm on the road for the holidays, so I can't confirm).  Maybe
> > you could be more specific as to the versions of FreeBSD that you've
> > tried?  I recently went through and did a minor overhaul of the ep
> > driver and made sure that all the 3com ethernet cards I could find
> > worked for me, except for the 3c1, which is rare and no free OS
> > supports that I've been able to ascertain (it is close to a 3C589, but
> > has enough quirks to make it not quite work).
> >=20
> > Warner
>=20
> Hi Warner! and thanks for taking the time to reply to this during the hol=
idays!=20
>=20
> The card in question is a '3Com Mehahertz 3CXFE574BT', it's a 10/100 X-Ja=
ck card
> (very handy, no dongles), and other anything that will recognize it as su=
ch, with the exception
> of FreeBSD (multiple flavors, see below):
>=20
> I've used the card successfully on my Thinkpad 390X with the following re=
sults:
>=20
> MS Windows (All Flavors): recognized correctly, with 10/100 settings avai=
lable
> NetBSD (1.5x, 1.6x, NetBSD-current): recognized correctly, with 10/100 se=
ttings avail.
> OpenBSD (2.8 - 3.4): recognized correctly, with 10/100 settings avail
> FreeBSD 4.8: recognized as '3Com 574BT' , only 10 Mbs settings available
> FreeBSD 4.9: same
> FreeBSD 5.0: same
> FreeBSD 5.1: same
> FreeBSD 5.2: same
>=20
> I determined (in the 'BSD's) if 10/100 settings for the card were availab=
le by doing the following:
> 'ifconfig inet ep0 10.0.1.25 media 100basetx mediaopt full-duplex', if it=
 exited correctly, I knew I
> was in good shape.
> However, the same command under the freebsd's would generate 'SIOGETOPT:e=
rror' or something
> to that effect. Also, the ep (4) man page makes no reference to the ep dr=
iver having anything but 10 mbs
> settings.
>=20
> Now I'm confused :( I really want to install freebsd next to winxp on thi=
s laptop (net's nice, but not enough software,
> and open has it's own quirks, that beyond setting up a bastion host, I'm =
unfamiliar with, and linux, is for me, not a
> real option).
>=20
> again, thanks! If you need any more info, please let me know, I'll get it=
 to you as soon as possible.

Hey guys, I also see this behavior with this particular card.

Warner, if you would like, I can drop one of these cards to you in the
mail if you want to tinker around with it.  Let me know...

--=20
Mike
perl -e 'print unpack("u","88V]N=3D&%C=3D\"!I;F9O(&EN(&AE861E<G,*");'

--MGYHOYXEY6WxJCY8

--MGYHOYXEY6WxJCY8--