Date:      Wed, 7 Feb 2001 08:17:53 +0600 (ALMT)
From:      Boris Popov <bp@butya.kz>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CFR: Sequential mbuf read/write extensions

On Tue, 6 Feb 2001, Alfred Perlstein wrote:

> Looks really cool, I can't get to http://www.butya.kz/~bp/mbuf/,
> but from the examples it looks very useful.

	Sorry, server was brought down and I wasn't notified :(. It should
be ok now.

> I was wondering if you planned or already had an API for reading/writing
> from/into host/network byte order?  Not that it's needed, but would
> be nice to have.  Also any chance we'll get manpages that describe
> these functions/macros?

	Yes, the header file contains macros which supports not only host
to network (big-endian) byte order conversion, but also to the
little-endian byte order. And of course, there will be a manpage(s) if
this is going to become a part of kernel API.

> On other idea is to give each op a 'count' parameter, your examples
> seem to show various functions being called several times in a row,
> maybe they would help optimize certain codepaths?

	Yes, there is a mb_{get|put}_mem() functions which allow
reading/writing of big memory regions (including user space). So, if
protocol is well designed and layout of the packet can be described as
structure, it is possible to fill it in the normal memory and copy the
mbuf chain in single operation.

> > Not that any of these suggestions are really required, I just wanted
> to give you some feedback. :)

	Thanks :)

--
Boris Popov