Date:      Wed, 07 Mar 2001 10:03:20 +1100
From:      Tony Landells <ahl@austclear.com.au>
To:        Alexandre Florio <alexandre@cipher.com.br>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG

> 	Does anybody know how can I set up Sendmail to use a specfic interface
> (eg., lo) instead of all availables? I will only use Sendmail for internal programs.

Yes, though how you do it changes depending on your version of sendmail.
I'll assume you're at least running some fairly recent version of sendmail...

Prior to 8.10.0, you use the following in your .mc

	define(`confDAEMON_OPTIONS', `Address=127.0.0.1')dnl

In 8.10.0, they introduced the concept of multiple daemons, so they
changed the behaviour and the invocation:

	DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Address=127.0.0.1')dnl

Note, though, that sendmail 8.10.0 and onwards also listens on port 587
as well (on all interfaces), unless you also add:

	FEATURE(`no_default_msa')dnl

If you aren't using M4 to generate your sendmail.cf, well you're a glutton
for punishment ;-), but for versions prior to 8.10.0 there will be a single
line in sendmail.cf with "DaemonPortOptions" in it, probably:

	#O DaemonPortOptions=Port=esmtp

Delete the '#' from the beginning (since it comments out the line), and
change it to:

	O DaemonPortOptions=Port=esmtp, Address=127.0.0.1

In sendmail 8.10.0 and onwards, you want to look for the lines:

	# SMTP daemon options
	O DaemonPortOptions=Name=MTA
	O DaemonPortOptions=Port=587, Name=MSA, M=E

Add the "Address=127.0.0.1" parameter to the first, and comment out the
second (if you want, or add the same Address parameter to it, or whatever).
One option for what you'll finish up with is:

	# SMTP daemon options
	O DaemonPortOptions=Name=MTA, Address=127.0.0.1
	# O DaemonPortOptions=Port=587, Name=MSA, M=E
Cheers,
Tony
--
Tony Landells					<ahl@austclear.com.au>
Senior Network Engineer				Ph:  +61 3 9677 9319