Date:      Wed, 18 Oct 2000 10:31:56 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Hugh LaMaster <lamaster@nas.nasa.gov>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   build/run (4.1.1) -STABLE kernel: fatal trap 12: page fault while ...

On booting a newly built kernel from freshly CV'supped -STABLE
source tree, I get this:

fatal trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode

0x24
supervisor read, page not present

:

panic: page fault

I was following the procedure in /usr/src/UPDATING:

        make buildworld
        make buildkernel KERNEL=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE
        make installkernel KERNEL=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE
        reboot  (in single user) [1]

Breaks here ^
However, after booting old kernel, make installworld
done anyway:

        make installworld
        mergemaster
        reboot

The make installworld didn't change anything.  Same result with my
own custom kernel config file (includes ATM stuff) and the GENERIC
kernel (note, system is still running 4.1-RELEASE kernel after the
"make world").

So, I have built kernels directly with config/make depend/make/make
install, and, via make buildkernel.  After my own kernels broke,
I tried GENERIC, with the same result every time.

uname -a doesn't tell you much since this is still the 4.1-RELEASE
kernel running:

4.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 4.1-RELEASE #0: Fri Jul 28 14:30:31 GMT 2000
jkh@ref4.freebsd.org:/usr/src/sys/compile/GENERIC  i386