Date:      Wed, 18 Oct 2006 16:03:09 +0200
From:      Svein Halvor Halvorsen <svein.h@lvor.halvorsen.cc>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Small Redundant web/mail setup

--------------enig7B36647F3D4812FF565AEF70

Ian Lord wrote:
> 2- Is there a better way to replicate data than RSYNC (without going to=

> san of expensive hardware) ? If not, is there a hotsync feature (I mean=

> by that as soon as server A modify something, server B knows and
> replicate)?

I've never tried the following setup myself, but you should look into
the possibility of using geom ggated/ggatec and gmirror in combination.
Basically ggated/ggatec will export the raw block device over the net,
so that another computer may use it in a geom stack.

You
could have the second computer export it's disk device, and let the
first one use it in a mirror (raid) setup. Since ggated on the the
second computer would claim the device, I think you could only mount it
read-only, but it would be synced live, I think.

Note that I don't know these tools from experience, only from what I've
picked up here and there. You would have to read up the specifics yoursel=
f.

	Svein Halvor