Date:      Wed, 5 Jul 1995 14:19:57 -0400
From:      wolperte@knox.pcec.philips.com (ED WOLPERT )
To:        Nik.Clayton@brunel.ac.uk
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PPP and demand start

>>>>> "Nik" == Nik Clayton <Nik.Clayton@brunel.ac.uk> writes:

-Nik> and PPP will then dial out as and when necessary. If I do this
-Nik> however, PPP starts up, announces that it is in auto mode and
-Nik> becomes a daemon (preety much what I expected). But if I then
-Nik> try and ping, telnet or netscape out I get told that the network
-Nik> is unreachable. PPP does not attempt to dial out.

I had the same problem... it would only attempt to dial out when I
pinged the gateway (ppp provider).  However, after the initial
session, and after the ppp daemon closed the connection due to
timeout, pinging a host in my /etc/hosts file (and others) would
re-open the connection.

A different problem I have: The timeout would occur even with an
active connection.  It seems that if I don't keep pinging something
while I'm connected (Either through an 'slurp' or long ftp session) it
will timeout.  Most strange. Ideas anyone?

--
                           Virtually,
                           Edward Wolpert

-------------------------------  "The best way out is always
wolperte@knox.pcec.philips.com |  through." - Robert Frost
wolpert@utk.edu                |
Truth is what you believe.     |  give you the world.' (tm)

Fnord.