Date:      Fri, 31 Jan 1997 14:05:56 +0800
From:      Chow Chi-Ming <cmchow@se.cuhk.edu.hk>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Booting up FreeBSD 2.1.6

>>>>> "Doug" == Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu> writes:

There have been fewer reponses than I expected.  Doug was the only one
kind enough to reply.  I may have missed the obvious, but please give
me some pointers so that I can start evaluating FreeBSD and read the
docs that come with the system.  I am sure FreeBSD is a good system,
but it means nothing to me if I can't boot it up.

Doug> On Thu, 30 Jan 1997, Chow Chi-Ming wrote: >>>>> "Doug" == Doug
>> White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu> writes: Doug> In the meantime, you
>> can boot by typing >> Doug> wd(3,a)/kernel >>

I tried it last night with no luck!  I used the installation floppy
and typed "wd(3,a)/kernel" at the boot prompt and the screen was
filled quickly with messages:
	Error: D:0x83 C:0 H:1 S:1
	Error: D:0x83 C:0 H:1 S:1

Just to recap my setup: 486-120 PCI 16M RAM with 3 HDDs
	IDE1-1  win95
	IDE2-1  Linux
	IDE2-2  FreeBSD
Installed via the novice route and chose to intall a boot manager in
one of the screens.  No extra packages were installed as I wanted to
get a minimal system up quickly.

In the installation there wasn't a chance to prepare a  boot floppy.
With the fixit floppy,  I can see the FBSD files installed on IDE2-2
but did not have access to the floppy to try preparing one myself.

I am stuck.

Doug> At the Boot: prompt.
>>  Thanks.  But is this documented in more detail on the CDs I have
>> (WC FreeBSD 2.1.6 2cd set)?

Doug> The boot(8) man page has details on the Boot: prompt system.

Thanks.  I wish I could read boot(8).

Any help is appreciated.

--
Billy C.-M. Chow <cmchow@se.cuhk.edu.hk>