Date:      Sat, 23 Aug 1997 17:38:06 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        "Michael A. Endsley" <me@corecom.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: distribution directory II

On Tue, 19 Aug 1997, Michael A. Endsley wrote:

> I don't know who to address this to, so....
> Isn't there some way to make "view/setup.exe" from the CD's to
> load/transfer the distribution files from dos just like during initial
> installation (via ftp)?

view can run a special program which will start the kernel and sysinstall.
On the CD, it's called 'fbsdboot.exe'.

> Perhaps very few users are affected, but for me, buying 2 disks makes no
> sense (cents??). I love FreeBSD, but if I have to d/l via ftp.....?

It depends on your hardware setup.  If you have cheap IDE CDROMs, well,
there isn't a whole lot we can do for you since these things don't follow
standards and are usually an itch propietary.

> This is not in anger/frustation!  Just don't understand why it works for
> the binaries and nothing else.  For some odd reason, I couldn't even get
> the source code from the CD/dos during installation (Yes, it was on my HD).

I don't know why you can get bin but nothing else.  Perhaps you're
forgetting to copy the *.inf files along with the archives?

Spam routed to /dev/null by Procmail    | Death to Cyberpromo