Date:      Wed, 12 Apr 2000 11:32:22 -0400
From:      "Mitch Vincent" <mitch@venux.net>
To:        "Lester A. Mesa" <netadmin@primex.prontel.net>, <isp@freebsd.org>
Cc:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: How many Virtual Hosts?

If you use name based vhosting, there isn't really a limit (beyond memory of
your machine etc).

<quote>
Why can't I run more than <n> virtual hosts?
You are probably running into resource limitations in your operating system.
The most common limitation is the per-process limit on file descriptors,
which is almost always the cause of problems seen when adding virtual hosts.
Apache often does not give an intuitive error message because it is normally
some library routine (such as gethostbyname()) which needs file descriptors
and doesn't complain intelligibly when it can't get them.
<end quote>

So the limit mentioned on Apache's site is more of a limit of the number of
IPs you can bind to any one interface (and the number of per-process file
descriptors you have).. It's not really a limit of Apache itself.

We're approaching that number (255) on one of our Linux boxes, however we
use name based vhosting, so it's only one IP we're dealing with.

- Mitch