Date:      Thu, 27 Nov 1997 21:14:36 -0800
From:      Studded <Studded@dal.net>
To:        glb@Zeus.jersey.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: That little number in parens(*)

glb@Zeus.jersey.net wrote:

> After reading a lot of docs, I still haven't found out what that
> number in parens after command names and such is (ie. lpr(1)).

	*Nod*  One of the things I have found frustrating about learning Unix
is what I refer to as the "Secret Knowledge," or those things that
everyone just knows somehow. :)  Never be afraid to ask questions like
this, and remember, the man pages are your friends.

> What is the number? What does it refer to?

	It refers to the section of the on line manual that this particular
item is found.  In a lot of cases, the number isn't strictly necessary
because if you do "man lpr" there is only one manual entry for that
item, and it brings up the proper section by default.  In those cases
where there are items with the same name that have different
incarnations, there are usually man pages in each section that is
appropriate. For example, do 'whatis sd' (no quotes of course) and you
will see that there is an sd(4) and and sd(9).  You can specify the
proper section by doing man 4 sd, or man 9 sd.

	I thought sure I'd seen a man page that describes the layout of each
section, but I can't find it right now.  This would be a good thing for
Greg's book though. :)

Hope this helps,

Doug