Date:      Thu, 30 Jan 1997 22:08:29 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Jeff <keshik@darwin.tti.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: missing X libraries and other comments for 2.1.6

On Thu, 30 Jan 1997, Jeff wrote:

> I just installed freeBSD 2.1.6R on one of my machines via ftp.
> I tried to run emacs and I have this error message:
> ld.so.failed: Can't find shared library "libXmu.so.6.0"
>
> I have had same experience with freeBSD 2.1.5R before and somebody
> pointed out that the X-windows (libraries) must also be installed to run
> emacs.

Wrong.  If you are sneaky you can disable it.  Either hack the Makefile
and remove the define for xwindows or I think you can pass --without-x to
the configure command line to quiet it.

See the mail archives -- I believe the solution was posted some time ago.

> 5. Two minor griefs: freeBSD 2.1.6R still comes with Apache 1.0.5 and
>    Pine 3.91. I thought the two are buggy and obsolete already.

Then install the one you want.  For pine, use the 'netbsd' target and
don't build in the mouse stuff (it doesn't work anyway).  ports-current on
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/ may have a newer apache; otherwise I bet it builds
out of the box.