Date:      Tue, 30 Mar 2004 17:09:47 -0500
From:      Bob Collins <bobc@anything-inc.com>
To:        Dag-Erling =?iso-8859-1?Q?Sm=F8rgrav?= <des@des.no>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: The Best Laptop

On Wed, Mar 31, 2004, Dag-Erling Smrgrav clacked the keyboard to produce:
> Bruce M Simpson <bms@spc.org> writes:
> > On Mon, Mar 29, 2004 at 12:48:07PM -0500, Jason Dusek wrote:
> > > I am in the market for a new laptop and I would like to know which
> > > laptop is the best for running FreeBSD and which one has the easiest
> > > setup.  Any suggestions?
> > The IBM ThinkPad T40 is currently rocking my world.
>
> The ThinkPad series has a long history of bad batteries, buggy BIOSes
> and AMLs, and idiosyncratic hardware which often requires a DOS or
> Windows utility to enable / disable / configure.  I'd recommend a Dell
> Latitude (not Inspiron!) instead.
>
> DES
> --
> Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des@des.no
<no-flame-intended>
Wow, considering that, I had no issues other than having to use
OLDKERNEL to get my pcm slots working, my TP600X runs 4.9 perfectly. So
much for the above.

And considering the troubles I have had with office based Dell
Brickbooks (at 9 pounds or so, they are not really portable) Inspirons
and Latitudes, I would not use them if I could do otherwise.
</no-flame-intended>
Just my 0.02.

--
Bob

"Play is the work of children. It's very serious stuff. And if it's
properly structured in a developmental program, children can blossom."
-Bob Keeshan aka `Captain Kangaroo'