Date:      Tue, 27 May 1997 18:01:15 +0300
From:      Ruslan Shevchenko <rssh@cki.ipri.kiev.ua>
To:        Christopher Sedore <cmsedore@mailbox.syr.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: async socket stuff

Christopher Sedore wrote:

> I've been thinking about implementing some async socket handling code and
> am wondering if someone else is doing this or has done it.  I've been
> thinking about two different approaches:
>
> 1. Creating a new ioctl set and a few syscalls to allow you to
> associate a socket with something like an NT I/O completion port.  This
> would allow you to associate a socket descriptor with a queue and each
> time the socket's status changed (via sorwakeup or sowwakeup) I'd post an
> entry into the queue.  The idea is that rather than using select() and
> then searching through a list of descriptors, you could just read them off
> one (or many) at a time and do I/O on the appropriate descriptors.   This
> seems to me to be more efficient than select().

 What process must do, if it queue is emty ? --- if wait,
it's simular to select call.
In principle it can be option in general net library.

> 2. Implementing general async I/O for sockets.  Then, rather than (or
> perhaps in addition to) the above functionality, you could use the queue
> to hold results of async operations.
>
> I've also thought of adding a call like NT's TransmitFile() (single call
> file transfer).

why syscoll ? You think, taht it is systel-level stuff ?
It can be do in extra library.

And about net calls : are somebody know, is exixts TLI compability
library ?