Date:      Wed, 8 Feb 2006 16:49:47 -0600
From:      "illoai@gmail.com" <illoai@gmail.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: A script for poets

On 2/8/06, Gary Kline <kline@tao.thought.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 08, 2006 at 08:29:21PM +0100, Kristian Vaaf wrote:
> > Again with my script requests, this time I'm wondering if anybody
> > has ever felt like writing a shell script that makes it easy to write
> > rhymes,
> > poems or just make up funny lines.

As below, but textproc/dadadodo is about it so
far as meaningfulness in computer generated
text can get.

>         This may dovetail into something I was actively working on
>         several years ago: a C/C++ program that took unmetered text
>         as input and output N-syllabic lines as output.

. . .

Quite the task, that.  Reading Spenser, Shakespeare,
and older metrical and rhyming poetry can give you
an indication of how difficult even the bland, mechanical
regurgiation of poetry can be:
Most words ending in -ed have one more syllable than
we usually enunciate.
Room and Rome can rhyme.
Wawain, Gawain, Gawaine are exactly the same person.

Most of this can be scripted around, double entries in
the syllabary for possible pronunciations and known
obscure rhymes, etc.  Still leaves no way to innovate
structure that's not coded in.
Anyway, this gets into AI, and as jwz points out, most of
modern AI research is fairly intellectually dishonest.