Date:      Tue, 10 Apr 2001 14:06:00 -0700
From:      Trevin Chow <tmchow@sfu.ca>
To:        David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Firewall rules causing SSH disconects?

At 02:14 PM 4/10/2001 -0500, David Kelly wrote:
<snip>
>Then again this might have more to do with NAT in the Pipeline than
>firewall altho the two are hard to tell apart.
><snip>
>Playing with keep-state and check-state in ipfw I found the default
>timer values to be way too fast. Only played with it for about an hour
>but observed connection states were dropped when netstat said the socket
>was still open, and my applications were crying because they too were
>upset about their connections failing.
>
>Maybe I wrote the ipfw rule(s) wrong. Used a simple "allow all outgoing
>tcp connection from this host to any and keep-state". Maybe it was
>keeping state of "connection in progress" when I intended only the act
>of connecting was allowed to establish a pass rule between two hosts.

I've used 2 different versions of firewall rules. One was just a simple
ruleset filtering out very little, and the one I'm trying now uses some
"keep-state" rules from an article i read on BSDToday
(http://www.bsdtoday.com/2000/December/Features359.html).  However, I seem
to be getting the same behaviour on both sets of rules.  I'm going to try
just an completely open firewall and see if I get the same behaviour.

I guess this begs the question: What would cause a firewall to cut off idle
connections?