Date:      Mon, 7 Jun 1999 10:36:17 -0400
From:      "Will Mitayai Keeso Rowe" <mitayai@aecinfo.com>
To:        <ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Ergh.

I'm running FreeBSD 2.2.8-STABLE still. For those of you that have earlier scoffed at my reluctance
to upgrade, i'll let your comments slide... it's all fine and dandy when your server sits beside
you, but when it's in another country that you are physically it's not a pleasant or comforting task
to upgrade. Besides, it works, and has been solid for 140+ days. Why mess with it?

I'm sure i'm not the only one, which is why i'm surprised that /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk still lists
perl5.00503 as the default Perl version, and yet the version available in the ports collection is
only 5.00502. Yes, i know i one can go in and manually tweak the file, but is it really necessary to
have everybody have to figure that out? One could also manually upgrade perl, which is exactly what
i am doing as i type this, but the Perl compile process is for neither the faint-of-heart nor the
beginner.

Isn't there something we can do, like put a wrapper around it somewhere that checks the version?

My 2 Canadian copper-coloured aluminum cents.
-Mit