Date:      Wed, 31 May 2000 17:48:24 -0400
From:      David Heller <dheller1@rochester.rr.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: firewall, how much horsepower?

Lehquin@aol.com wrote:

> Hi:
>
> I'm thinking about a network connection to the internet, either ISDN
> or DSL router. If I want to setup a firewall using FreeBSD, how much
> horsepower does the box need? I'm thinking that it won't need much
> power to just pass IP packets back and forth. It will need just need
> 2 ethernet cards right? Would a 486 66 w/ pentium upgrade chip and
> 64Meg Ram be enough?
>
> Regardless of the horsepower, what about other services. Can I run
> sendmail, and DNS on the same box that's the firewall. How do I
> makesure that the "Server Services" are protected behind the firewall
> eventhough they are on the same box. Would this mean that the
> server services would answer TCP/IP packets only on the ethernet
> interface that is on my side of the firewall.
>
> lehquinn

Lehquin;

I'm using a 486/40Mhz machine (running linux) as a firewall to my
FreeBSD machine. And I ran some speed tests on it (ISP is Time Warner
Road Runner service) and I got 570Kbits/sec upload and 1670Kbits/sec
download which is pretty damn fast at these speeds you could dowmload a
entire cdrom in less than an hour. Please no flames about linux!! It was
a ton easier to configure my firewall because of dynamic addressing
issues with linux. Also keep in mind that Roadrunner limits the
bandwidth here in Rottenchester NY.

Regards
Dave