Date:      Sun, 31 Jan 1999 21:17:10 -0500
From:      Christopher Masto <chris@netmonger.net>
To:        Bill Paul <wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Network/ARP problem?  Maybe pn driver?

On Fri, Jan 29, 1999 at 06:28:46PM -0500, Bill Paul wrote:
> - Change the if() clause so that it looks like this:
>
> 		if (sc->pn_promisc_war /*&& ifp->if_flags & IFF_PROMISC*/) {
>
>   (In other words, comment out the test for the IFF_PROMISC flag.)
>
> This will enable the workaround all the time and allow the receiver bug
> to be detected and handled properly.
>
> Compile a new kernel with this change and see if the problem persists.
> Report back your findings (one way or the other) so that I'll know if
> I should modify the code in the repository.

I'm sad to say, this didn't solve the problem.  It still happens
exactly as before, and still goes away immediately if I run a tcpdump
on another console (but not if I do tcpdump -p).

I did add a printf when pn_promisc_war is set to 1 just to make sure
that it was being properly detected and turned on, and it is..  but
enabling the workaround all the time doesn't seem to help.
--
Christopher Masto        Director of Operations      NetMonger Communications
chris@netmonger.net        info@netmonger.net        http://www.netmonger.net

    "Good tools allow users to do stupid things." -- Clay Shirky