Date:      Sat, 21 Dec 2002 16:57:45 -0500
From:      "matthew c. mead" <mmead@goof.com>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Linux and FreeBSD poor network performance

I have a Linux box and FreeBSD box sitting on a 100Mbit ethernet
segment that cannot seem to talk to one another faster than
150K/s.  I've been using scp, ftp, http, to test this.

A Windows box on the same segment can send/receive at 6MB/s with
either box, but for some reason the FreeBSD box and Linux box
are having some weird interaction.  My guess is I need to tune
one or the other's tcp stack.  Any hints?  Anyone seen this?

FreeBSD box is FreeBSD 4.7-RELEASE-p2.  Linux box is Gentoo Linux
1.4rc1 with kernel 2.4.19-gentoo-r10.  Windows box is Windows
2000 sp3.

Thanks in advance for any help... I'm out of ideas.

-matt

--
matthew c. mead

http://www.goof.com/~mmead/