Date:      Wed, 03 May 2000 09:25:45 -0400
From:      John Holland <johnholland@mindspring.com>
To:        xvudpapc <xvudpapc@savba.sk>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Apache problem

>I sent a question to you regarding apache error [alert] mod_unique_id:
>unable to gethostbyname("").
>
>I have Linux and I compared resolve.conf and host - they both look to be
>equal on Linux and FreeBSD. But my apache doesn't work in FreeBSD. Is
>there anything I can do. My resolve.conf contains "hosts" and host file
>contains 127.0.0.1 localhost localdomain etc. The problem is this
>warning, so I can't start httpd: [alert] mod_unique_id: unable to
>gethostbyname("")

Hi,

I just tracked this exact problem down.

For an example, my server is samwise.kazoocmh.org

You should be able to ping the hostname successfully.  In my case

#ping samwise

should work, and should show the network interface IP address.

Here are the important entries in my config files:

/etc/rc.conf contains the line

         hostname="samwise.kazoocmh.org"

/etc/hosts contains

         127.0.0.1       localhost localhost.kazoocmh.org samwise.kazoocmh.org

/etc/resolv.conf contains the lines:

         domain kazoocmh.org

and
         nameserver 10.11.1.3

The nameserver listed should be able to resolve your hostname.  Or, you can
let /etc/hosts handle the resolution by adding a line:

         10.11.1.52      samwise samwise.kazoocmh.org

Obviously, use your own hostnames and IP addresses.

Good luck.