Date:      Tue, 6 Nov 2001 14:01:12 +0100 (MET)
From:      Adriaan de Groot <adridg@cs.kun.nl>
To:        Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Myson NIC / fet driver for 4.4?

Hi Ted,

On Tue, 6 Nov 2001, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
> Are you sure that this isn't the 8139C+ chip?  Yyves posted a driver for
> this Fri 11/2/01 12:23 AM on the freebsd-questions list.  Do a search on
> a subject headig of "How to update driver?"

Thanks for your speedy reply. However, I don't think that the chip I'm
dealing with is one of these 8139C+ chips. Reasons being:

1) The Myson has a separate driver from the rtl 8129 / 39 / 39C+ driver
   under linux.
2) The PCI id of this card is 1536:0803 (dern, i forget which constant it
   is, but the 0803 is right for sure) which isn't listed in the
   if_rlreg.h file. This may be an oversight on the part of specific
   vendors, though.
3) Let's take a look at some register offsets. From Yves' if_rlreg.h:

#define RL_COMMAND      0x0037          /* command register */
#define RL_CURRXADDR    0x0038          /* current address of packet read */
#define RL_CURRXBUF     0x003A          /* current RX buffer address */
#define RL_IMR          0x003C          /* interrupt mask register */

and from the stuff I posted:

#define FET_TXLBA        0x2C    /* transmit list base address */
#define FET_RXLBA        0x30    /* receive list base address */
#define FET_ISR          0x34    /* interrupt status */
#define FET_IMR          0x38    /* interrupt mask */
#define FET_FTH          0x3C    /* flow control high/low threshold */
#define FET_MANAGEMENT   0x40    /* bootrom/eeprom and mii management */

It seems to me that we're dealing with two definitely different
programming interfaces here. But since I've never done kernel hacking
before I'm not the best judge of this.

[ade]

PS. The Myson driver I posted has a RCS tag with "wpaul" in it, so I guess
Bill Paul should recognize that code somehow. Bill, can you comment on
this directly?

PPS. I think it's pretty cool that Yves left in all the disparaging
remarks about the RTL chipset, too.