Date:      Tue, 19 Mar 2002 16:38:22 -0800
From:      Benjamin Krueger <benjamin@macguire.net>
To:        "Morse, Richard E." <REMORSE@PARTNERS.ORG>
Cc:        "'questions@freebsd.org'" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Network issues...

* Morse, Richard E. (REMORSE@PARTNERS.ORG) [020319 07:56]:
> Now I'm even more confused.  It seems to have reappeared on the network.
> Between the last time I tried to ping (and received the error messages) and this
> time (when it all worked) the only command that had to do with the network that
> I ran was tcpdump...
>
> Still looking for ideas,
> Ricky

Ricky, it sounds like you're running low on mbufs,and I'm willing to bet that
you'll find your system logs littered with messages from the kernel regarding
mbuf allocation failures. To verify this is the case if you see this behavior
again, type 'netstat -m' to see the current mbuf statistics. If you find that
this is your problem and you're running a release below 4.5, you will need to
recompile your kernel with 'options NMBCLUSTERS=' with a larger number that
will suit your needs. (The default is 1024)

The following url from the handbook should help you figure a good number to
request:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/configtuning-kernel-limits.html

--
Benjamin Krueger

"Life is far too important a thing ever to talk seriously about."
- Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900)