Date:      Fri, 7 Jan 2000 01:44:19 -0800
From:      Jeremy Lea <reg@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        Ade Lovett <ade@lovett.com>, Satoshi Asami <asami@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   New USE_GNOME and optional depends patches.

Hi all,

Making good use of my flashy new FreeBSD account, I've put the latest
version of my USE_GTK and USE_GNOME patch to bsd.port.mk at
http://www.freebsd.org/~reg/.

The big new highlight is that I think I've finally got optional depends
working.  These can work in two ways:

1. For the USE stuff, we automate discovery so you can do things like:

USE_GTK=	optional

.include <bsd.port.pre.mk>

.if (HAVE_GTK)
USE_GTK=	yes
CONFIGURE_ARGS+=	--with-gtk
.endif

.include <bsd.port.post.mk>

If the user sets WITH_GTK=yes then HAVE_GTK will always be true, with
any other setting of WITH_GTK it will always be false.  If WITH_GTK is
not set then it looks for libgtk12 and sets HAVE_GTK if found.  If
HAVE_GTK ends up undefined then bsd.port.mk automatically prints a
message saying that the user can get GTK+ support by using WITH_GTK.

Same for USE_GLIB, USE_IMLIB and USE_GNOME, expect that USE_GNOME can
return {libs|core|control}, and you can decide if you actually need
more.  USE_GNOME also takes these values, so you can get three levels of
GNOME suport.

2.  LIB_OPTIONAL, BUILD_OPTIONAL and RUN_OPTIONAL.

These work just like their DEPENDS versions except they end up as null
if they are not found.  See the Mutt patches in misc.patch for an
example.  IMHO this is really cool...

Also on the page are the patches to implement USE_GTK, etc. in the tree,
along with a bunch of other patches and things in my ports tree...

The bsd.port.mk patch implements a bunch of ideas from Ade (thanks).
These latest patches are fairly untested, but I think they're just about
ready to go...

Regards,
 -Jeremy

--
FreeBSD - Because the best things in life are free...
                                           http://www.freebsd.org/