Date:      16 Oct 2002 09:41:01 +0100
From:      Tom Carrick <knyghtmare@knyghtmare.com>
To:        BigBrother <bigbrother@bonbon.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CVSUP update from 4.6 -> 4.7

--=-TwW7021jfRFceIPZJ93M

On Wed, 2002-10-16 at 09:27, BigBrother wrote:
>=20
>=20
> I have freebsd 4.6 release and I am interesting to
> update it to 4.7 via CVSUP
>=20
> The box is located 3000 Kms away and I can only connect
> via ssh.
>=20
> a) How much space is required in order to make a buildworld
> (downloading CVSUP, compiling, installing)

A few hundred MB is a safe bet.

>=20
> b) What is the best failsafe method, so in case I do this and
> happen to have an error, my system will continue to operate
> on the 4.6? As I said I am too far away to go to fix it there...

From personal experience, update sources, rm -rf /usr/obj/*, compile
world, compile kernel, drop to single user, install world, install
kernel, reboot. If they both compile, it's a good bet they'll run.

You can happily compile the new world and kernel, that is 100% sure to
not screw anything up, as they both stay under /usr/obj/. You can do
what you want, it's still 4.6 until you install them.

>=20
> c) Can somebody point me or give me a sample CVSUP configuration
> for updating to the 4.7 release?

*default host=3Dcvsup2.uk.FreeBSD.org
*default base=3D/usr/local
*default prefix=3D/usr
*default release=3Dcvs tag=3DRELENG_4_7_0_RELEASE
*default delete use-rel-suffix
*default compress

That's mine. Change the host to a local one is all you should need to
do.

>=20
>=20
> d) Are there any tips for remote updates/buildworld? I know that is not
> suggested but I find too difficult to live with all the critical bugs
> that 4.6 has and I would like to get rid of them.

uh... be careful? Other than that, I wouldn't know.

>=20
> e) Do I have to compile only a kernel on 4.7 or to make a buildworld too
> for the new binaries to be replaced? If I compile only a 4.7 kernel and
> my binaries are 4.6 will this poses any trouble?

Very bad idea to only compile a new kernel. Compile the world and the
kernel if you want to be sure they won't screw up somehow.

>=20
>=20
> Thanks in advance guys!
>=20