Date:      Sat, 26 Apr 1997 20:24:53 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Joachim Kuebart <joki@kuebart.stuttgart.netsurf.de>
To:        mw0102@cnsvax.albany.edu
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, michael dan wolfe <mw0102@cnsvax.albany.edu>
Subject:   RE: freeBSD

Michael,

please try and switch off the "html" option of your mailing program since many
people here will answer your questions more readily when they can read them.

FreeBSD is a UNIX and not designed for user-friendliness (apart from the saying
that UNIX _is_ user-friendly, it just knows who it's friends are! ;)
But, compared to Linux, I can say that there is quite little "mess" a newbie
has to dig through in FreeBSD as there are many simple rules that help you find
config files and do setup tasks more easily.
And -- after all there is this list (freebsd-questions@freebsd.org) that will
help you when you get hopelessly lost.

So what I mean is that if you want to start using UNIX FreeBSD is the system to
go for. But be prepared to be faced with a lot more "options" than Windows95
has, and be prepared to set them all right! Then you soon won't need your
Windows95 partition and you'll be able to use a new 'slice' for your FreeBSD. ;)

c u Jo

On 26-Apr-97 at 15:47:06 michael dan wolfe wrote:
><HTML><BODY>
>i'm inquiring because i run win95 and believe that FreeBSD is more stable,
>and in some cases easier to use (once it's properties are known) it also
>has many more options, the only problem is, i know nothing about UNIX.&nbsp;
>would this OS still be a good choice for me at this time, or should i read
>up on and work with UNIX before i try to use FreeBSD (along with win95
>on a dual boot)
><BR>-Michael Wolfe
>
></BODY>
></HTML>