Date:      Wed, 10 Jun 1998 14:16:25 -0700
From:      Virgil Champlin <champlin@virgil.pa.dec.com>
To:        enine@ssicom.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Question about recomended motherboards

  Eugene> I have a question about the Jordan's pick list in the PC
  Eugene> hardware compatibility giude.  Do you have any other
  Eugene> suggestions besides the Asus P55t2p4.  That board has been
  Eugene> discontinued and the replacement (txp4) has the intel
  Eugene> chipset with the 64M cachable ram limitation.  What else
  Eugene> would you recommend as to a replacement of the Pentium class
  Eugene> CPU's Eugene Nine

I too was disappointed with this passage but have had very good luck
with FIC's PA-2007 as a replacement.  It uses VIA's VP2 chipset (Apollo)
which appears to be a close match with Intel's HX features.  It does
have the disadvantage of not being able to use parity memory SIMMs as
ECC but does supports ECC so I've take to using ECC DIMMs and things are
working very well.  This is probably a smarter move anyway.  With 1MB
cache, they run around $99.  Good luck.  -virgil