Date:      Sun, 31 May 1998 01:04:24 +0200
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
To:        Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>, Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: elf vs. bsd.*.mk

On Sat, May 30, 1998 at 04:15:39PM -0500, Richard Wackerbarth wrote:
> At 8:42 PM -0000 5/30/98, Bruce Evans wrote:
> I SHOULD be able to simultaneously compile, from the same source tree,
> systems for two different machine architectures and/or variations
> of compile parameters.

Hmmm.  There are two things missing to be able to do this:

o Automated generation of kernels
o Reading of make.conf from ${MAKE_CONF} if it exists, instead of
  using /etc/make.conf always.

The latter is a trivial patch to sys.mk (or possibly to the bsd.*.mk
after Peter has fixed the use of bsd.own.mk).

Apart from the above, we already have control of the various variants
through the use of SUBDIR_CHANGE (which I haven't yet tested if works
through the buildworld target - I suspect it doesn't.  Ah, silly me)
and OBJDIR.

And, of course, we're missing the ability to actually do a compile for
more than one architecture _at all_, given our lack of alternate
architectures.

Of course, the present way of specifying all of this isn't the best
imaginable, but it _is_ possible.  I'm imagining SUBDIR_CHANGE to be
used mostly through a higher-level interface in the future.

Eivind.