Date:      Mon, 09 Aug 1999 17:40:36 -0400
From:      smkelly@slashnet.org
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org, sno@silver.slashnet.org
Subject:   misc/13047: FreeBSD libcrypt bug?

>Number:         13047
>Category:       misc
>Synopsis:       crypt() with 2 char salt is not returning 13 character backwards compatible strings
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Environment:

	The libcrypt.so.2 library contains the crypt() function.
	Other implimentations only support a format with a two
	character salt which generates a 13 character password.
	The FreeBSD crypt(3) manpage says that there is backward
	compatibility for such things if the 'setting' (second
	argument passed to crypt()) is just two characters.
	However, I am getting >13 character passwords even by
	using the compatible mode that the manpage described.
	This breaks some programs such as Internet Relay Chat
	Daemons that use crypted passwords on many platforms.

	(1) smkelly@area51:~$ cat <<EOF >crypt.c
	> #include <stdio.h>
	> #include <unistd.h>
	> int main()
	> {
	> printf("Compat: %s\n", crypt("FreeBSD", "42"));
	> printf("Incompat: %s\n", crypt("FreeBSD", "_DEADBEEF"));
	> return 0;
	> }
	> EOF
	(2) smkelly@area51:~$ gcc -o crypt crypt.c -lcrypt
	(3) smkelly@area51:~$ ./crypt
	Compat: $1$42$2kP4RJzDJDeJaNnfz6kAD1
	Incompat: $1$_DEADBEE$qewOsrc1LJwwvGy7HmsLp0

>Fix:

	In the example, the Compat: should read '42RsTfgD2n9Gs'.
	Libcrypt needs to be fixed so it is backward compatible again.