Date:      Sat, 8 Feb 1997 23:37:51 -0800 (PST)
From:      Brian Buchanan <brian@wasteland.calbbs.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Updating without downloading the entire distribution

I just upgraded my 2.1.0-RELEASE system to 2.2-GAMMA-970205 by FTPing the
bin, src, manpages, etc. distributions from ftp.freebsd.org, booting from
the 2.2 install floppy, and telling it to install from the existing
filesystem.  The upgrade went pretty smoothly, except that I got some
strange warnings on reboot due to /etc/sysconfig not containing certain
new options.  (Perhaps the upgrade process could append any options present
in the new sysconfig file to the old one?)

Two questions...

1) Do I need to rebuild any of my old non-system binaries to protect
myself from the stack overwite bug being discussed on the
freebsd-security list?

2) How do I keep up-to-date with version 2.2 without downloading 10s of
megabytes every day over my 28.8kbps PPP link?  Can I just grab the
sources changed since my last update and recompile them?

Thanks for your time,

Brian