Date:      Mon, 23 Jul 2001 19:09:13 +0200 (CEST)
From:      "A. L. Meyers" <a.l.meyers@consult-meyers.com>
To:        Max Khon <fjoe@iclub.nsu.ru>
Cc:        Steve Lumos <slumos@nevada.edu>, <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: is "stable" "stable"?

On Mon, 23 Jul 2001, Max Khon wrote:

> hi, there!
>
> On Mon, 23 Jul 2001, Steve Lumos wrote:
>
> > I'm not whining about -STABLE, but then again I didn't lose.  However,
> > I think the current attitude toward people who end up losing after
> > basically being led to -STABLE by the documentation is bad.  It might
> > be a good idea to add "NOTE: Since this documentation may be out of
> > date with respect to -STABLE, you should never consider tracking it
> > until you have read freebsd-stable for a couple of weeks."
>
> this happened because RELENG_4_3 is quite new idea (it is actually the
> first -RELEASE branch) and seems that handbook is really out of sync with
> real world
>
> /fjoe

Hello again!

Guess what - I *did* carefully read the handbook before cvsupping
stable. I *never* expected stable to be perfect but I did expect
it to be "stable". All the docs I saw presented moving from
RELEASE to STABLE as the normal course of action. No doc I
remember mentioned a third tree. Maybe I misunderstood but my
understanding was that a release is something like a snapshot
from the stable branch.

Well as we have an SMP server I was (sorry, but it's true)
shocked to see big problems on production SMP machines due to
some problems with stable soon after I subscribed. My mild
problem was only with one executable pod2man, part of perl. So I
just got nibbled.

Now I am told that sysadmins should extensively test stable to
make sure it is stable. My conclusions:

1. "Stable" should really be stable or be called something else.

2. The new "release" tree is apparently the real "stable" tree.

3. The handbook does not yet fully and accurately reflect the
current situation and inform users sufficiently to enable them to
decide rationally.

All this is meant in completely positive ways. I like FreeBSD.

Cheers!

Lucien